Thursday, February 12, 2009


Are you a glass half full or glass half empty person? Normally, I would say that I'm a glass half full person, but now I'm not quite sure. This week I am taking the class '7 Habits of Highly Effective People', and in all honesty...I'm not 100% sure that I am getting all of the benefits of the class. In fact...I can say that the word 'CROCK' has run through my head several times. Now mind you, I'm not saying the class is a crock, and in fact, I am sure that it would be quite beneficial for the right person. However, there just seems to be something standing in the way of my ability to drink the k00l-aid.

For instance, we have spent the morning discussing 'Win-Win' situations. Now, I by no means believe in being cut throat or stepping on others to move forward. However, a bit of healthy competition just seems kinda natural...and truly inevitable. I mean...it is what it is. However, the class is truly focused on finding a way for all parties to win, and I guess I just don't believe that is possible in EVERY situation.

So now, I don't know if I'm the pessimist (although Ti knows that I tend to be very doubtful of some ppl) or if this instructor is just in 'la la land'. I mean...we KNOW that not everyone can get promoted. However, the instructor would say that perhaps everyone can get promoted if we all work hard to grow the business. Yeah right!

What do you think? Do you look at the world through rose colored glasses, or are you a Debbie Downer?

1 comment:

T said...

I think I go back and forth depending on my mood and the circumstances. I agree with your instructor though. I think everyone can get promoted.

I studied this in college. One belief is that there is a limited number of power. So if one person has it the other person can't get it. The other belief is that power is unlimited. Just like air, there's enough for everyone. And I don't have to hold my breath, so you can breathe.

I do think you're mad skeptical, but I don't know if I'd call you optimistic or pessimistic. I think you you're more of a realist. You just look at things from all sides (And most sides are negative, LOL!)