Monday, January 22, 2007

YOGA IS NO JOKE!!!!!!!!!

I am sooooo sore! Now, let me not deceive you. I was not the workout queen this week. Poor weather was definitely successful at keeping me indoors. However, I did get to the gym Sunday (1/14) night. I did 30 mins uphill on the treadmill and 30 mins of leg weights and crunches. I also made it out for Pilates (10am) and Yoga (11am) on Saturday, with another dose of Yoga on Sunday. That is what has me limping around the house right now.

I always thought that pilates was the more challenging of the two workout programs. In fact I went to the pilates class Saturday morning b/c I thought that yoga wouldn't be enough for me. However, I was so wrong! Pilates is a cake walk in comparison to yoga. In case you are wondering how this could be, it all depends on the muscle areas that you are working. Pilates works a lot of core and leg muscles, which I happen to be fairly strong in. (Note, the two poses below)













However, yoga uses a lot of muscles in your arms and upperbody, which I am a lot weaker in. (See below)





















I find this sort of workout to be way more challenging. Yet, I really enjoy the classes. I feel relaxed at the end of the workout (esp. b/c the 2nd half of the class tends to focus on balancing and leg poses), and I secretly feel like I'm gaining some little special talent or ability that not many other ppl have. It's quirky, but hey...whatever works to get me to the gym, right? I think that yoga and pilates are nice compliments, and I'll continue to hit the treadmill and weights during times that the classes aren't offered.

So it's been nearly a month since I've hopped on a scale. Like always I am dreading the deed. This is for a couple of reasons. #1 My workouts haven't been as frequent as I'd like. #2 My eating has been pretty good, but I can pinpoint some 'cheats' that I've had along the way. Don't get me wrong. My lifestyle has still remained healthy, but yet not perfect. #3 Since I have been lifting the weights and doing yoga and pilates, then I am concerned that I have been primarily building muscle. Muscle is good, and I def. want to increase my overall muscle mass. However, since it is heavier than fat, then I am worried that the number on the scale will inch up just on GP. Sigh, I suppose that I have no other choice than to bite the bullet and hop on. If I am serious about being at my 175lb goal weight by the middle/end of February, then I must track my progress. Nothing would be worse than getting there and receiving a major dissappointment. Next trip to the gym, its me and the scale. Update soon...

No comments: