Friday, August 03, 2007

Quick update: I have been busy busy busy busy lately. Between work and personal commitments I have barely had any time for myself these past few weeks. I have averaged 3 work outs per week for the last 3 weeks. On the one hand, I am glad to be getting even that much time in. On the other hand, clearly I am falling short of the goal. Le sigh, I guess there is not much left to do but try harder.

Unfortunately I injured my knee doing yoga this week. I have it in a brace, but I'll probably be reduced to doing yoga and light walking for the next week or so. I think that I can also do my Shape mag strength training workout. It does require knee strength and proper knee alignment to execute all of the lunges, but as long as it isn't a lot of jumping around, I think that I can do it.

As for eating, I've had some hits and some misses. I think that I am doing pretty well with my breakfast and lunches. I 've been getting my oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast and salads or other grilled entrees for lunch. However, I think that my afternoon/evening snacking has been more than I would like. I tend to get hungry again at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, so I have a snack at that time. However, since I don't leave work until 6 or 6:30, then I am hungry for another snack when I get home before or while dinner is being prepared. My early snack is 100 calories, but I feel that my evening snack is probably closer to 200 or 300 calories, so I am going over my limit there. I plan to hit the grocery store this weekend where I can get more 100 calorie packs and fresh fruit. Hopefully that will keep me closer to my target with the additional snacks. Also, I'm not 100% sure about my dinner choices. I found out that my client servers free dinner after 5:30, so sometimes I just eat at work. It tends to be healthy (grilled chicken fajitas or veggie lasagna), but probably not as low cal/low fat as if I would have cooked for myself. The thing is, the free dinners are so tempting b/c #1 they are free, #2 the allow me to have more time in my evening, and #3 they are ready at right about the time that I am hungry for my 2nd snack. I eat dinner at work and then don't really eat anything else (except maybe a 100 calorie WW ice cream sandwich) for the rest of the evening. I think that I am going to limit my eating at work to dinners that I feel are as healthy as the ones that I would have normally prepared. This will work for the next few weeks. Once I begin working my 55 hr weeks, then I will probably eat at work every night b/c of time constraints. In those cases, I am going to have to work on portion size.

Where I feel like I am having the most trouble is that I have been allowing myself some little indulgences that I fear could add up on me. I've been to a lot of social events this week, so I've been eating desserts that I should be turning down. I also have been accepting little pieces of candy, etc. that co-workers bring to work and offer the team. I'm going to have to remember my commitment to avoiding those types of temptation. I think that they could lead to some subtle weight gain that could sneak up on me.

Ok, that's all I have for right now. I'll try to get back on this weekend w/some of food favs!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! I was waiting on this one.

It is SOOOO hard to turn down free food. I'll ask what do you have? They're like a heart attack on a Kaiser bun. I'm like sure, I'll have mine with a pepsi.

Anywho, it's good that you're paying attention to the small stuff since those are the things that make a difference. AND you want to make sure you maintain the same weight you were the last time you hopped on a scale, since you won't be able to get to one for a while.

I don't really have any life changing suggestions except, I notice when I exercise every day I have a lot more energy. Like I'm off balance when I skip my workouts. Since I haven't had a chance to do my morning workouts lately, it makes me less likely to work out at all. (I also no longer have a gym at my place ***sniff***)

So anyway the point and motivating word for the day is consistency. If you make 6 workouts a week a non-negotiable habit, you won't feel like you have to FIND time to workout. It'll be just like eating or going to the bathroom. It'll become a natural mechanism that has to be done and I think you'll feel better because of it.

Anonymous said...

"It'll be just like eating or going to the bathroom."

Why couldn't you just say "breathing" like everyone else? Thanks for the gross visual Ti. :P


Go LB goooooo!!! I can't wait to see you babe! :)

ThummyB said...

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. I can't wait for my gym to open. My 4 workouts per week is supposed to be my non-negotiable minimum. Honestly, sometimes I get in and I'm just sooo tired. I feel things might be better when I can go straight to the gym after work w/o setting a foot in the house. Once I'm home, I just want to chill for the 1 or 2 hours that I have before bed.