Friday, October 19, 2007

Got Bike?

Well I do! I picked up my new bike yesterday afternoon. I have to admit that I'm a bit afraid of it. I have never ridden a road bike before, and I haven't been on any kind of bike since I was in college. I'm nervous, but if the weather is permitting, then I'm going to try to take it out for a ride on the lake this Saturday morning. I've got my helmet, padded short, water bottle, and repair kit. It's everything that I can think of for now. I'll post pics of myself with the bike, if I can convince a stranger to take them for me.

I tried another belly dancing dvd last weekend. I looked completely ridiculous again, but it's to be expected. I'm going to stick with it b/c its still pretty fun.

Let's see...what else has been going on? Did I tell you that I entered a competition to be on the cover of a Curves cereal box. I'll post my entry below. It's not the most heartbreaking, sob story ever, but I think that it's pretty good. Wouldn't that be awesome?!?! to see me on your next box of cereal. Anything is possible.

Here it is:

I am not a work in progress. I am a completed masterpiece, and I am so proud to be me.

I recently heard a commercial that stated "I am NOT a work in progress". These words really rang true for me, as I have spent so many years trying to be something better than what I already am. Although I did not grow up as a Double C..."chunky child", I certainly did not have the best eating habits. I can remember making a Burger King whopper with a Strawberry/Vanilla milkshake my afternoon snack in the 8th grade. My careless snacking and unwise food choices stayed with me throughout high school and college. Around my sophomore or junior year in college, I began to take note of the weight that I had put on. My diet was certainly catching up with me. While I spent more time in the gym than before, I hadn't curbed my poor habits, so the results were lack luster at best. As I look back, I can see how my half hearted efforts were slowly chipping away at my self-esteem. I was spending all of my time thinking about my body and what I wanted it to become. Every piece of food that I put into my mouth (both good and bad) was analyzed and agonized over. However my lack of discipline undermined all of my efforts, and kept me in a perpetual state of dismay and disappointment. I was never satisfied with who I was and how I looked, but rather constantly hoping for the day that I would be new and improved. This cycle continued for several years after college, when finally inspiration came into my life. I took ownership of my body and my future, and I finally began to act responsibly. Slowly my eating habits turned around, and I got involved in exercise activities that I enjoy...like yoga and bit of pole dancing (shhh...don't tell anyone). Now when I look in the mirror I feel like I am glowing. While I'm not necessarily the hottest woman on the block, I'm the hottest woman in my eyes. I eat right and exercise because that makes me feel good, not because I'm not good enough 'as is'. I love being me..right now...just the way that I am, and that is an AWESOME feeling!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! I'm so happy you decided to do this. You are so brave! Not only have you made a decision to do better, but you've decided to share that intimate part of your personality with your family, friends, the blogosphere AND the (overly) friendly ladies at Curves.

I think entry was wonderful and if you don't get picked we can just do a top model-like photo shoot and super impose you on some Wheaties! YAY!

Anonymous said...

Typo above should read: I think *your* entry was wonderful.

ThummyB said...

I'm loving the idea of just taping my pic on a Wheaties box. That would be awesome!