Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I need to do more, be more, give more!





  • Let me preface this by saying...I works HARD!!! I am OVER extended at work and currently attempting to lock down at least 2 more commitments outside of work that will be NO JOKE. That being said, I know that anyone with good sense would wonder why I would ever want to take on more responsibility. What can I say...I'm driven. I like my job, but being socially and civic-ly active are things that actually bring a smile to my face.



  • Soooo...the question is...what should I do? I really would like to get involved with the Jr. Board of organizations that I support and believe in (horrible grammar, I know). My 1st choice is the AIDS Foundation of Chicago. I've supported a number of their events in the past, and it addresses an issue that I think needs attention and action. Additionally, I would love to be actively involved with the ETA. I love the arts, and ETA is a African American founded and produced theater company. Their shows are of GREAT quality, and very under supported for the great work that they do.



  • However if these don't work out, then what else do you all suggest? Does anyone know much about the Junior League? I've heard of it many times, but I don't know anyone personally involved. Another popular group is the Chicago Urban League's Metro Board...but I don't know if they are really impactful, as much as...popular.



  • What else are you involved with, both civic-ly, as well as in the arts?

1 comment:

T said...

I'm writing this more for your readers than for you since you already know this, but I'm on the board for the Chicago Women's AIDS Project, the only gender-specific AIDS and HIV organization in the city of Chicago.

If you don't get on the boards for the things you listed, I think you should look into an org that deals with how obesity contributes negatively to pretty much every disease that plagues African-Americans. You're super committed to fitness, so it'd be a good way to take something you're committed to, to the next level.