Monday, November 06, 2006

Soooooooooooo it's been more than a minute.

I'm sorry to say, that I really don't have much 'good' to report. I fell off the wagon for sure. In the last week I only exercised twice, and I did not stick to my diet. Here, let me tell you the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The Good:
- I bought a work out tape. Its a 90 min long DVD made by the people at NBC's The Biggest Loser. It has a warm up, a cool down, a beginners, and an advanced work out. Plus it only cost about $12. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks really good for those rainy days where you don't want to go out of the house.

- I took 2 exercise classes. Step Aerobics (60 mions) and Salsa Moves (60 mins). What's good about the classes it that they were an hour each. Since I typically work out for 30 mins at a time, then I kinda doubled up on those days. The Step class was definitely more high impact. However, since I had the instructor from hell (read: somebody needs to give this chick the definition of the word instruct as well as its synonym teach) I spent most of the class trying to figure out what the hell was going on and catch up. I like the Salsa Moves class much better b/c I knew what I was doing, but it was much more low impact that Step. Both classes did a good job of getting my heart rate up as well as working my legs, but maybe not such a good job at burning fat.

- I had my 1st personal training session. Trainer lady gave me a pedometer to measure my steps as well as some nutrition information. She also confirmed that my weightloss plan is right on target. I'm eating several meals a day. I'm eating a balance diet, which is low in fat and calories. I'm aiming to work out 6 days a week, but at least most days of the week. I'm doing both strength training and cardio. All of this is exactly what she wants me to be doing.

The Bad:
- Since I only attended the two 'average' exercise classes last week, then I didn't really get the amount of calorie burn or muscle exercise that I prefer. Something is better than nothing, but I can do much better.

- I slid right off the diet. This is my biggest detriment for the week. It started with indulging in Mexican and Chinese food the previous weekend, and went downhill from there. The biggest dissapointment that I have is that I allowed myself to snack at the office, and I didn't adhere to my outline of Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner w/2 snacks (100 calories or less) in between. Choosing healthy meals is doable when I'm in most settings (read: home or a restaurant w/a variety of healthy options as opposed to a pizza parlor). However, the snacks are the calories that slip through the cracks, but add up on you later.

- My 1st training session was really more of a health consultation than personal training. Trainer lady weighed me, took my measurements, gathered some info, and gave me some info. I felt a bit jipped. I mean its just 5 personal training session, and we didn't even exercise on one of them. Bastards!

The Ugly:
- So during my personal training session Trainer lady took my weight as well as a bunch of other measurements and came up with my % body fat. I weighed in at 188, which is one pound over my last weigh in. I'm not sure if it's b/c of my habits this last week, or simply b/c we used a different scale. Either way, that isn't what really concerned me. I was much more disturbed by the % body fat that she came up with. 32% Yowser!!!!!!!

According to About.com as well as Nutribase.com a normal % is 22 - 25%. Above average is about 25 - 29%, and above that is over weight. Now just how overweight is where the two sites differ. About.com says above 32% is the danger zone, whereas Nutribase.com says that above 35% is the danger zone.

Now I should not be surprised by this. I mean I started off with a goal weight of 175lbs as that was the max weight that my doctor recommended that I be at for my age/height. Given that I am 10 - 15lbs over that, I am clearly 'overweight'. However, it is just surprising to hear that 1/3 of your weight is fat.

Trainer lady said that losing 2% would be about 8 lbs, and therefore losing 3% would be about 12 lbs. That would bring me to my max weight of 175 lbs as well as 29%, the max in the above average range.

Its good to know that I'm on the right track with my goals and methods. I just need to make sure that my motivation and delivery stay in line with that. I'm not discouraged right now, just very very eager to get back on the wagon. The good thing about losing weight is that you can always start again, and luckily...I'm pretty much starting where I left off. I'll push through this week, and let you know how things go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your positive attitude. Thanks to you I've been getting my workout on too. It's great after a hard day of work and it's gratifying if you're reading a health/fitness magazine. They're like "You should get 30 minutes of exercise a day" and I'm reading it like... I AM! YAY!

LMAO @ trainer lady. Ol' girl doesn't have a name? Too funny!

Anonymous said...

I thought he liked to read it two or three times a week. HEHEHE! (That was an evil sinister laugh)