Thursday, May 07, 2009

*singing* 'Walk, walking is a habit...Get like me!'

Well I'm just back from vacation in the south of France, and guess what...people there walk EVERYWHERE. They walk up the hill...they walk down the hill...they walk to the market...they walk to work...they even walk to kick it. After five days of eating pretty much everything in sight (oh yeah...we enjoyed the local cuisine), I've barely gained a pound. Do you know why? Because I walked several miles each day. In fact, I am now sore like I've been working with a personal trainer!

As a result, I've begun to see just how valuable walking in your 'everyday life' can be. I still believe in working out (goodness knows that some of us will walk 5 steps and call that our daily workout), so I don't suggest cutting your normal routine. However, I do believe in adding a walk into your day, where possible. For instance...tonight I am attending an event downtown where I could take two separate buses...oooooor I can walk a few blocks over and only take one bus. You see? It's not a workout, per se, but it is a bit of physical activity that can add up over time.

In fact, I'm going to start looking for all sorts of opportunities to walk. I think that there are quite a few out there, but I've just gotten so accustomed to 'door to door' service, that I've been overlooking them. Well with the summer rolling in, there is no better time to get back into the habit. Don't you wanna get like me :-)

No comments: