Friday, May 04, 2007

Yay for Veggies!

So I have been saying that I want to up the fruits and veggies in my life and down the meats. I'm not looking to become a vegetarian at this time, but I do want to get down to no more than one serving of meat per day to start. This week I have been much more pro-active about choosing meatless options. I had a wonderful egg white omelet filled with green peppers, tomatoes, onions, and mushrooms for dinner the other day, and I had a falafel (chickpeas) pita for lunch. I've also been getting my usual oatmeal or yogurt in for breakfast. Since I've left the red meats alone, then I never really eat meat for breakfast anyway. When I do eat meat, then I try to be conscious to select meat dishes with plenty of veggies, like the chicken stir-fry that I had for dinner earlier this week.

However, I am realizing that in many instances I am simply cutting the meat w/o upping the veggies. Since it is the health benefits associated with lots of fruits and veggies that I am looking for, then I want to be careful not to get too much into the habit of eating starches and carbs as my alternate. According to the Harvard School of Public Health we should be eating as much as 13 servings of fruits/veggies per day (4 1/2 cups). I think that I am quite a ways away from that right now. That's alright though. At least I am now armed with the information necessary to make an improvement. I'm going to head out to Boston Market and pick up a veggie plate for lunch today.

Below is a great article on some of the many health benefits of eating sufficient amounts of fruits and veggies. It addresses some of my specific concerns like high cholesterol, so I'm going to keep it in mind when making future food selections. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fruits.html

As for working out, I've completed 3 great workouts this week, and I am on target to get 5 in (total) by Saturday.

Tues - 30 mins Elliptical + 30 mins strength training
Wed - 45 mins Yoga
Thurs - 30 mins cardio/aerobics
Fri - 30 mins Elliptical + 30 mins strength training
Sat - 1 hr Pilates + 1 hr Yoga

Go Bikini Body!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As usual, I have to get a plug in for my client. 1 8 ounce glass of V8 vegetable juice provides a full serving of vegetables.

Now that that's out of the way, I had no idea you stopped eating red meat. Did I miss a blog? Do you eat pork at all? I swear I'm the last living person that eats pork and red meat.

Anyway, good for you. We get of in 51 minutes. I'm going to go shopping, then hit the gym. I promise! And since it's in writing I absolutely hav to do it. Please check with me in the morning.

Make sure to take plenty of pho-tos in PR. I know you're gonna be fly!

Anonymous said...

V8?

eeewwwwww!!!

ThummyB said...

:-( I miss shopping.


Anyway...good looking out on the V8. I like it a lot...it tastes like tomato soup. Also V8 Splash is pretty good.

I haven't given up all red meat. Its just that since I've been working on the cholesterol, then I pretty much never eat red meat. I really only eat it on special occasions (like vacation). Honestly, I think that pork raises my blood pressure and gives me headaches. Right now I eat read meat about once per month (max). That's good for me. I'm trying to get all meat to once per day, which is actually going pretty well.