Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Step your game up, family!

Don't you love when you speak on a topic and then someone else comes and mentions the same topic in a different venue? You can't help but to say, "I was JUST saying that same thing." I don't know...there is a certain bit of validation to the whole thing.

Anyway, I was just mentioning to T that Barack Obama has set a whole new standard for Black Men in the US. I mean, who doesn't want a Barack of their own? He doesn't have to be President, but certainly that eloquence, that vision, that strength and yet tenderness are what every woman seeks in a man. Well...let me be real, some folks are looking for a brotha w/nothing less than a mouthful of gold teeth and a pocket full of rocks (which reminds me that I need to pick up Sister Souljah's sequel to The Coldest Winter Ever). However, most sistahs would like a Barack-Jason/Kyle/Dante of their own. T, of course, wisely reminded me that Michelle has also raised the bar for Black Women. I mean what man doesn't want a woman who is accomplished, beautiful, and supportive?

Soooo...while I'm driving to work this morning I hear "The Commentator" segment on the Tom Joyner Morning Show. Jeff Johnson was commenting that Barack (and Michelle) provides another positive example for our community, and in this case, one that must be followed and reported by the main stream media. Yes, we have had the Rev Run & Justines or even the Mariah Carey and Nick Cannons, but in all honesty...most married Black couples just fade to black when it comes to being shown on television. I mean if we aren't dancing, singing, or palming a basketball, then you simply don't see us. However, here is an example of a couple that is successful and focused, yet still make time for one another and their family.

Jeff commented that Barack had taken Michelle out on a date this past Saturday night, and then took the kids to school on Monday b4 heading off to the White House. Now, let's not make the man more than what he is...but certainly some ppl are starting to take note. Barack inspires other men to want to be like him. Guys who were happy to play house now wonder if it's time to seal the deal w/a ring. Guys who played the part-time dad role now wonder if they can carve out a few more hours/week to be more present in their child's life. Perhaps even sisters see a way to balance their roles both at home and in the work place...and see the love and dignity in the role of wife/help meet, rather than the 2nd class citizenry or dreams deferred that we've been pushing back against for the last few decades. Most ppl know that I am pro-marriage and pro-family, so its just good to see images of black husbands, wives, fathers, and mothers that our ppl can emulate.

Anywho...I could not find a link to the segment, but it was the 11/11/08 segment of The Commentator feat. Jeff Johnson on the Tom Joyner Morning Show, if you are interested in looking. Also, here is Jeff's website (he also hosts The Truth on BET), if you'd like to hear more from him.

3 comments:

Blake said...

thats a nice thought, but it honestly sounds too good to be true. Lets not forget that Obama has some 'hood-type roots' in him. So can just as easily see a new era of gangstas and others comparing themselves to Obama and using that as a pickup line or as an excuse not to change.

But on an individual level, it is nice to see a real life version of the Cosby Show - so that the excuse that the Huxtables were a fictional family can no longer be used. Hopefully Obama's image will inspire a new generation the way Heathcliff Huxtable and Claire Huxtable inspired my own generation.

ThummyB said...

Sorry that I am late with a relpy.

What are Obama's 'hood-type roots'? I know that he experimented with drugs at one point, but I didn't think that life was that hard growing up in Hawaii.

In any event, I agree that they are a real life Huxtable family. Given that this image is far more publisized and displayed, then I feel there's a pretty good chance that this will have a greater impact than Pres. Elect Obama's 'dark and mysterious past'.

Blake said...

Well, I was mainly referring to the experimenting with drugs. Those may not be strong 'hood-type roots' but I'm sure people will use that as an excuse to say "Obama wasn't perfect either, I just gotta get my life together" or something like that.