Thursday, January 29, 2009


Let's talk about marriage...ok, not in a mushy, 'pie in the sky' kinda way, but in a serious, 'we's grown now' kinda way.


So last Saturday, I drove out to my good buddy's home to celebrate the birth of her first child. Her family and friends were there...and of course her hubby. As I watched them interact together, it occurred to me that I needed to add them (J and M) to my 'fav couple' list. They are so natural and comfortable with one another. It's clear that they love each other...but they are also great friends. I got the feeling that they had the kind of relationship that will last.


Previously only my good friends R and P were on that list. Another really cool couple that do not hide the fact that the love each other...but they are still their own independent persons. They love to hang out and party together, but they each make time to do stuff on their own.


Then I caught some new pics of my homies J and D, who recently celebrated their one year anniversary. Another couple that I think might need to go on the list. Here's the thing though, these 3 couples are really the only married ppl (my age) with whom I'm truly close. (Tea, remind me if I'm missing anyone important). Now given the divorce rate in this nation, I'm wondering...how can it be that everyone that I know has the 'right stuff' to make a marriage last? Is it just that all couples seem perfect in the early stages, or do my friends truly have some key elements that are important for a strong marriage?


Certainly there are other couples that I am watching from a far...who seem like they are on the rocks, so it isn't that all marriages seem blissful. My friends just seem...different.


What do you think? Is is the 'right formula' or am I just being naive?

3 comments:

T said...

I close to a lot of married folks, but like most of my friends we don't [have the time to] keep in touch like we should. So you're like one degree of separation from a bunch of married peeps: A&A, L&B, A&J, N&A, etc, etc.

I think it all does look pretty and wonderful in the beginning for everyone. 'Cause if it doesn't look pretty and wonderful in the beginning, OOH I'd hate to see the middle and the end.

It's one of those time will tell type things. WE SHALL SEE!

T said...

*I'm* close

ThummyB said...

Indeed.