Wednesday, March 05, 2008

I hit up the gym for an early morning swim today, and it was actually quite enjoyable and relaxing. The water was warm, and the pool was quiet and un-crowded. I also made an interesting discovery. The gym is full of black women first thing in the morning. I normally only see a handful of other African Americans at any given time. The demographic is typically majority white and Asian. However, I've noticed that the early morning crowd is about 80% black (well, at least in the women's locker room). I don't know what to attribute the difference to, but its actually pretty nice. These ladies are far more personable, and have sort of a community feeling about themselves. There is gentle chatting while folks are getting ready for work and a chorus of "Have a good day" when you head out. Me likey!

1 comment:

T said...

Hey girl,

I'm back and I did indeed get my blue black on. What I did not do was get my workout on. However, one of the other sponsors, sponsored a morning workout 8-9:30 a.m. and since it was a gospel cruise, the majority of the folks on the cruise were African Americans (1800 folks in total). Anyway every morning about 85-100 women worked it out on the pool deck and I saw a lot of people hit the gym up too. I was so proud.

Now as far as I'm concerned... that's another story, but I may have to just settle into my new size, cause my motivation for weight loss is low.