Saturday, February 09, 2008

Let's talk about food.

We'll I guess that we always talk about food, but this time we're talking about cooking. I've realized that it is NOT my fault that I cannot cook. I simply don't have the proper tools to cook. As I watch my normal Saturday morning Food Network line up, I see a bunch of essential tools that I don't have. Mixer, Food Processor, Sifter, Baking Pans, Measuring Cups, Pairing Knife, Grater, Wooden Stirring Tool Thingys, Etc. You see, I am far far from the chef that I should be b/c I simply cannot reproduce the masterpieces that I see on tv or read about online. *thinking to myself* "Yeah...that's it...I just don't have the right tools." Anyway, I haven't ever taken the time to invest in these things b/c they seem like the kind of items that you get when you get married. Total registry fillers. But...er...umm...yeah, I don't have any yet. However, inspite of my handicap, I managed to whip up an awesome breakfast today.

Can you say egg white omelet w/spinach, turkey and veggies? I sauteed diced onions, green peppers, and turkey in a skillet while I cooked frozn spinach in a pot. Once the veggies were cooked, then I separated out my egg whites and poured them into the skillet. I let them solidify a bit before adding most of my ingredients...the veggie/turkey mix, spinach, and low-fat shredded cheese. I finished cooking the egg, and actually managed to slide the omelet onto my plate and fold it over. (ok, it did burst open a little, but not too bad) Then I topped the omelet w/the remainder of my veggie/turkey mix and more cheese. It was delicious, and I calculated it out at about 350 calories & 2 grams of fat. YAY!
Ok, so I'm a total Food Netowrk junkie. I love their cake/baking challenges, Ace of Cakes, Good Eats...and then there is my dream team. Let me introduce you to my Food Network Favorites.
We'll start it off healthy with Ellie Krieger.



Ellie totally kicks butt w/awesomely tasty yet healthy meals. Here's an example of what she can do.
Chocolate and Strawberry Stuffed French Toast (From FoodNetwork.com)
3 eggs 1 1/4 cups nonfat milk 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese 8 slices of whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed 1 (8-ounce) container strawberries, hulled and sliced 4 teaspoons bittersweet chocolate chips Cooking spray 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla. Set aside.
Place 1 tablespoon of ricotta in the center of 4 of the pieces of bread and spread around slightly. Top with about 6 slices of strawberries and a teaspoon of chocolate chips. Cover each with another piece of bread to make a "sandwich".
Spray a large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and preheat. Carefully dip each of the "sandwiches" into the egg mixture until completely moistened. Then place on the skillet and cook over a medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until the outside is golden brown and the center is warm and chocolate is melted.
Transfer to serving places. Top with remaining strawberries and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Per Serving:
Calories 270; Total Fat 8 g; (Sat Fat 3 g, Mono Fat 2 g, Poly Fat 0 g) ; Protein 15 g; Carb 38 g; Fiber 5 g; Cholesterol 170 mg; Sodium 390 mg

Ok, next we've got a bit of international flare w/Giada De Laurentiss


Giada specializes in bringing traditional Italian cooking to the US w/a bit of a twist. See below.
Whole Wheat Spaghetti w/Swiss Chard and Pecorino Cheese (From FoodNetwork.com)
1 tablespoon olive oil 2 onions, thinly sliced 2 bunches Swiss chard, trimmed and chopped (about 14 cups) 3 garlic cloves, minced 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices 1/4 cup dry white wine 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes Salt and pepper 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped 2 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino cheese 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
Heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the chard and saute until it wilts, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, wine, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the tomatoes begin to break down and the chard is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Season the chard mixture, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the spaghetti. Add the spaghetti to the chard mixture and toss to combine.
Transfer the pasta to serving bowls. Sprinkle the olives, cheese, and pine nuts and serve.

Ok, on a sometimes healthy, sometimes not kick we've got Ina Garten.


She's got an awesome, laidback personality. Her food seems pretty easy to duplicate, and it always looks delicious. Check her out.
Roasted Shrimp and Orozo (From FoodNetwork.com)

Kosher salt Good olive oil 3/4 pound orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta) 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons) Freshly ground black pepper 2 pounds (16 to 18 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined 1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts 1 cup chopped fresh dill 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced 1/2 cup small-diced red onion 3/4 pound good feta cheese, large diced
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well.
Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Don't overcook!

Add the shrimp to the orzo and then add the scallions, dill, parsley, cucumber, onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss well. Add the feta and stir carefully. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight. If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature before serving.

Lastly the Food Network has finally added a bit of color to their lineup w/the Neely's.

This is a super awesome couple that make all of your Southern Favorites. Not really healthy, but sometimes you've just GOT to indulge.
Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread (From FoodNetwork.com)
2 (8.5-ounce) boxes corn muffin mix 1/2 cup whole milk 2 cloves minced garlic 1 (8-ounce) container cottage cheese 4 large eggs 1 tablespoon salt 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Cheddar
1 stick unsalted butter or margarine 1 medium onion, chopped 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed but not drained
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix together all ingredients except 2 tablespoons Cheddar to create a batter in a bowl.
In a cast iron skillet melt butter. Saute onions and broccoli until soft. Pour batter over the vegetable mixture and sprinkle top evenly with remaining cheese.
Bake in oven until golden, 30 minutes.
If you're looking for some awesome recepies to try on your own, then check out my dream team either on FoodNetwork.com, or on Saturdays from 10-12:30 (CST).
Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

sweetnes said...

Wow! Why am I sitting here typing and salivating too :) These sound like yummy recipes. How is the Neely's show? It looks cute but I haven't caught it yet.

ThummyB said...

I like the Neely's. At first I wasn't sure b/c they are really playing up their 'Southern, black folks' image. However, they seem like a really sweet couple. The food looks delicious, and I like the family atmosphere.