Saturday, February 02, 2008

Let's talk about fun stuff.

Look what I found:


It's called CalorieSmart from www.coheso.com. From the website "CalorieSmart is a Handheld Electronic Calorie Counter and Food Diary.
Now you can carry nutritional information of over 35,000 food items in your pocket with CalorieSmart, our portable calorie counter. With this knowledge you can take charge of your food choices and put yourself a step closer to your weight loss goals. Whether it is counting calories, counting carbs or just plain looking up nutritional information, CalorieSmart is an invaluable tool and the best diet and weight loss aid available." I sooooo want it. Unfortunately it is about $80. For that kind of $$ I'll keep using Fitday.com, which pretty much does the same thing. Plus, Fitday allows me put in my activities and generate reports to show my progress. I don't think that this thing does that. I just liked that it will give you info about food while you're out and about, allowing you to make good food choices on the run. Oh well.

I did a bit of grocery shopping today, and I am super excited...as always. I started out at Whole Foods...expensive, of course. However, I was pleased with my purchases there. I got fresh shrimp, fish, chicken, ground turkey and eggs. All of these items are organic, raised on farms that treat and slaughter the animals humanely, and not fed by-products of their same species. I also got some fresh fruit, which I'm still debating. I'm going to wait until I've eaten all of the fruit. If it is much sweeter/fresher than the fruit at the regular jewel, then I'll stick with it. Otherwise, I'll just get all of my produce at jewel. After I left WF, then I went to Jewel , where I got all of my dry and frozen foods. I decided to give some South Beach Living dishes a try as well as Healthy Choice steamer bowls and paninis. I've gotten mixed reviews about these, but...they were on sale. You know how I feel about stuff on sale, so I'll give them a try.

I also got Soy milk. I was really really nervous about this change. I've never really been a big fan of cow's milk...I'm lactose intolerant, and I don't really understand why humans don't ween off of milk like every other animal. However, I loved (and still do love) ice cream, yogurt, cheese, and cereal. After reading an article about dairy farming, I decided that I can at least cut milk that I use in food prep and cereal out. So I picked up Silk Soy Milk in plain and vanilla. This afternoon I poured myself a big bowl of cereal and filled it up with the plain milk. Annnnd, I LOVED it! It tastes just like regular milk. I was so pleased, and I'm going to keep it in my diet. I'll let you know what I think of the vanilla when I break that open. They also have chocolate and 'very vanilla' flavors as well as versions that are vitamin and calcium enriched. I might give those a spin one of these days as well.

Speaking of dairy and ice cream, I decided to get my ice cream sandwiches again. Klondike has individually wrapped ice cream sandwiches that are 100 calories a piece. They only come in chocolate or vanilla, but they are pretty good. Now what I really crave are Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches, which are 140 - 150 calories a piece. More calories, but they are larger and come in awesome flavors like chocolate, vanilla, mint, cookies and cream, and others. Plus, they make low cal ice cream bars and pops as well. Since I'm in the BL competition, then I went with the Klondike bars, but I plan to eventually make Skinny Cow a staple in my diet.

Lastly, I am cooking tonight. I've actually been doing a bit of cooking lately, but I just haven't blogged about it. I try to cook each Sunday and make enough to last me for a couple of days during the week. This week I'm going to use my mom's meatloaf recepie (which I love) to make Turkey Meatloaf. Normally she makes it with ground beef, but I am going to substitute ground turkey to keep it healthy. I am really looking forward to it (hence my cooking on Saturday instead of Sunday). I hope that it turns out tasty!

3 comments:

sweetnes said...

Yay! Like you, I never really liked the taste of regular milk, but I love me some soy milk. Congrats on buying all those healthy foods :)

tru2me said...

Hi! It's tru2me from NP.

Yay on the soy milk!!! I drink rice milk now. I was a little scared to try that one at first, but it was surprisingly good.

ThummyB said...

Thanks guys! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person trying milk alternatives. At 1st I felt kind of like a weirdo, so its nice to know that I'm not alone.