Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Get yo' note taking game up, son!

Ok, so this weekend I found myself in the stationary and office supplies section of my local Target and Staples stores. I was looking for material for a work/crafts project that I'm completing, and of course, I can't buy anything for someone else w/o making a purchase for myself. Soooo I got to looking at the latest and greatest in notebooks when I stumbled upon this little gem. The Red n' Black notebook. I saw a manager rocking one of these a few years ago, but I hadn't found anything comparable or for a decent price.

My biggest problems with my average wb is that pages fall out of the spiral bounds...the paper back covers get ripped and worn...and its tough to keep them in order. This beauty solves ALL of my problems. It is hardback, so it's built to withstand the beating that it will get in my laptop bag. The pages are bound (like those of a book), so they aren't meant to tear or fall out. Me likey! There is a read ribbon book marker attached, so it's easy for me to find my way back to the last notes that I took. AND the inner front cover has a complete 2007, 2008 and 2009 calendar, time zones for the entire globe, and a spot for important contact info. I love it. Now...it did cost about $7 (so more than your ave $3 notebook), but I really do think that it is worth it.

Did you really think that was all that I bought? Come on now.


I also feel in love with the Mead Five Star Advance Notebook. Now this one doesn't have nearly the features that the Red n' Black book had, but the cover is a durable plastic, it has a folder of sorts inside, and best of all...it has little plastic pockets to hold business cards. This is perfect. Do you know how often ppl give me business cards at a meeting that are lost or discarded at the bottom of my laptop bag by the end of the day? This is the solution.

Lastly, I grabbed a basic accordion file folder. It's pretty slim (folds to completely flat), so it doesn't take up much space within my bag. My biggest issue is that I constantly have papers, meeting agendas, policies/procedures, docs, etc that are collected during meetings. These typically get shoved (and eventually demolished) btwn the pages of my notebook. This is a simple/quick/easy way to compile all of those docs in one place, until they are ready to be discarded.

Soooo...I think that I made out pretty well on a Saturday morning :-) Plus, using these items is giving me a rare ray of sunshine in the middle of my workday...whatever works, right?

3 comments:

blackstar said...

black and red is one of my favorite notebooks! Where do they sell these things? They only sold them at my job and I did not feel right using that book outside the workplace! lol

ThummyB said...

I bought mine at Target, right in the office/school supplies section.

Kismet Nuñez said...

ThummyB - I am in love right now! Pens and notebooks are my ish!

I need to hit up Target.