Friday, January 18, 2008

The competition is suuuuuper stiff. I weighed in this morning at 167lbs...YAY! Well actually I weighed in at 166.5lbs, but I allowed myself the extra .5lbs to account for clothes. I am so pleased with my progress. According to our record keeper, I am once again in the lead. However, another competitor is close on my heals. In fact, he was in the lead until I reported this week's weight. If I had not lost any pounds, then he would have taken the lead.

My top competitor is using the South Beach Diet method, which is giving him pretty good results. If you aren't familiar with the diet, then a general understanding of the diet is the following. Dieters are teaching themselves how to eat healthy again. They spend the 1st two weeks on a pretty restrictive diet, no "bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, baked goods, or fruit". After two weeks the dieters re-introduce these foods back into their diet in a healthy way (good carbs and fat rather than bad carbs and fat) and sustain this diet until they reach their goal weight. Ultimately the dieter should be able to maintain their healthy weight b/c they have learned the right way to eat for life.

Here is my thinking on this entire competition, but esp. on this particular competitor. #1 I am really already in the '2nd phase of the South Beach Diet', meaning that I am at a point where I am eating healthy foods in appropriate proportions. I'm not really 'learning' how to eat right b/c that is what I have spent the last year and a half doing. Now I am just practicing what I know. #2 Consistency is the key!!!! My major assumption is that the majority of the other competitors are not going to eat right and exercise consistently throughout the 12 weeks. Mr. South Beach may be on his grind today, but w/a pregnant wife and a diet that eventually allows him to eat sweets and drink alcohol, I am betting that he's gonna start slippin' on his pimpin'. That is where I plan to beat out he and the rest. If I can just motivate myself to stick to my 1400 calories a day and my 3 cardio and 2 strength workouts a week, then I believe that I can win.

I know that it is going to be tough...heck it already is, but I just have to stay focused on the money...ummm I mean my new healthier, sleeker body. Who the heck am I kidding, we're all in it for the cash :-) Anyway, I purchased my scale yesterday. It is pretty cool...it will remember and calculate weight, body fat % and % of water for up to 4 ppl. I plan to weigh myself on Monday and Thursday, so that I can closely monitor and track my progress.

Ok, before I go, I also have to just talk a little about the benefits of journaling what you eat. I used to never do this b/c I always hear ppl say "Well it will help make you aware of your eating patterns and help you to identify where you are falling short of your diet." I would think to myself, I can remember everything that I ate today, so I don't need to write it down to do that. However, the major benefit that it has had for me, is that you can SEE how many calories (grams of fat, cholesterol, sodium, etc) that you are taking in every day. I am waaaay less likely to eat a little Hershey Kiss when I know that I'll have to go back and add in those calories. Also, sometimes we just plain underestimate how many calories are in some of our favorite healthy foods. Plus, if I've had dinner but still would like a snack or something, then I can look at how much I've already eaten, and determine if there is room in my diet. Some nights I'm already at 1400 calories, so no after dinner snack for me. However, if I am actually around 1200, then I feel free to grab an orange or a 100 calorie pack. It really is awesome, and I'm going to keep using this technique in the future.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Mr. South Beach may be on his grind today, but w/a pregnant wife and a diet that eventually allows him to eat sweets and drink alcohol, I am betting that he's gonna start slippin' on his pimpin'."

Ruthless... and on the workout piece, you sound just like Pascale. But we're going to all be so fly in the Bahamas. It's going to be worth it.

And, of course, congrats on 167! I think that's the smallest you've since the weight loss journey began.

One more thing, my mom's scale said 1 thing, then the scale at your gym said 1 pound lighter than that, but then the scale at the doctors office said 7 pounds lighter than the scale at your gym. I don't know how much I weigh,*expletive* but the jeans are a little snug right now...