Sunday, May 18, 2008

Fiscal responsibility.

You know I hear sooo much talk of a recession, and until now I didn't really feel like I was affected by the economy. I have a good job, my gas is pretty much paid for, and my mortgage is fixed. However, I am noticing that month after month I have to dip into my savings (just a little) to cover all of the bills. Now that isn't to say that I am running in the red...its just to say that of the $X's that I put into my savings account, I'm taking a portion back out to cover expenses.

Now I don't know if this is the economy or just me not being responsible w/my money. Either way I am going to have to start paying attention to my budget. I am remodeling my condo for sure I am going to be hitting my saving there. However, I probably didn't need the $7 Whole Foods breakfast that I got this morning. I also have been doing it really big these past few months just because...by this I mean I splurged in Rome, I spent about $250 on my mom for Mother's day, I bought a new printer, and I've been buying new clothes every chance that I get. Now these are all purchases that I really believe in, and I have held back in other ways (i.e. taking lunch at least 3 times a week). However, given my future financial goals, I'm going to have to cut back on even some of my most needed/deserved purchases.

Le sigh. Tough times folks. Never the less, I am going to write out my month expenses and make a point to stay within my monthly allotments. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

T said...

Oh yeah. 2007 is the money year for me. I'm definitely not REALLY feeling the recession either because I don't think I'm a typical American. (Drives to work, has a mortgage, 2.7 kids and HAS to buy milk). Nope, I think I'm a bit on the alternative side of avergage, so my pockets haven't been hit like a lot of others.

My budget is ti-ight! I'm hoping I'll use the second job for its intended purpose (to pay down debt and save) rather than for the purpose I'd like to use it for (buying organizers/furniture to spruce up the studio, a new laptop, other spending, splurging and partying)

Keep me lifted up in your prayers. It's hard to work 7 days a week, but still be frugal.