Monday, May 12, 2008

Hi Guys,

Let me hit you with a new segment that I am incorporating into the blog. Recipe of the Week!!!! Well essentially I have been selecting a recipe each week and preparing it for Sunday dinner. I'll post the recipe here and let you know what I thought of it.

Last night I made Rachel Ray's 'Lazy Sister Ria's Chicken'

Essentially I did the following:

Take 1 and 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts and brush them w/balsamic vinegar (I somehow missed this vinegar step, but I don't think it hurt the recipe). Then brown them on each side in a deep skillet containing about a tablespoon of EVOO over med-high heat. Remove the chicken from the pan once each side has browned.

I then added another tablespoon of EVOO to the pan, and laid out a layer of thin sliced and peeled white potatoes (about 2 potatoes) as well as thin sliced white onions (about 1/2 of a large onion). Over this mixture I shook on some McCormick's Steak seasoning, but salt and pepper should work too. I let this mixture brown on both sides being sure to keep the layer thin.

Once the potatoes and onions were brown, I added a layer of thinly sliced zucchini (1 small zucchini). Then I added the chicken breasts back into the pan (on top of the potatoes, onions, and zucchini), as well as about 1/2 cup of chicken broth. I sprinkled on another layer of the steak seasoning, and covered the entire mixture in crushed tomatoes (1 28oz can). Lastly, I topped the sauce w/a sprinkling of chopped basil and oregano.

I covered the entire mixture and let it cook until the chicken and potatoes were thoroughly cooked (about 10 - 15 mins). I finished the dish by topping it with shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese. (The recipe called for the dish to be placed under the broiler for about a minute to brown the cheese, but I don't have a cast iron skillet. I just re-covered the dish until the steam melted the cheese. Next time I will just add the cheese once the chicken has been dished onto the plate.) I served the final dish w/buttered (I can't believe its not butter) whole wheat bread.

It was yummy! It was supposed to be a 30 min meal, but that doesn't include prep time. If you add in the prep, then it will be about 45 mins the 1st time around. It will probably get faster in the future, though. I squeezed about 5 servings out of the dish. I will definitely make this again in the future.

1 comment:

T said...

I'm lovin' the new recipe segment. Yummy delicious hotness!