Thursday, October 23, 2008

Shout out to my Girl!!

I love this post from my girl, Kismet. I am not a writer, no a historian...yet we all play a role in the story that will become the history of tomorrow and the day after.

In particular, this paragraph caught my attention the most:

"Ellison emphasizes the individual as an artist, the individual as a person (man) of color growing and creating in this world. As a woman of color that doesn't apply to me. It doesn't apply to the women I am researching, women who survived slavery not by standing alone in their unique experience but because they drew on networks and knowledge of their mothers, aunts, and sisters (and fathers, brothers, and lovers) before them. And alongside them. And passed those resources on, which were worth more than money, because a wealth in people* replenishes itself."

Check out the whole post and think for a moment on your 'role'. I hope that while I have no intentions of changing the world...I am surely changing the lives of those around me for the better.

1 comment:

Kismet Nuñez said...

::blushing:: thanks for the link love missie! we definitely all struggle with what our role is, whether we make history by living it or by writing it.