Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sooooo...today was one of my 1st interactions with the local NABA chapter. The event was a scholarship lunch held at one of the city's baseball fields. Initially tickets were $60 a piece, which I just couldn't afford right now w/my current expenses (we'll speak more on that later in the summer). However, they decided to give up 10 complimentary tickets (I guess there were extras), and I was able to obtain one. All that I needed to do was pick up my ticket from Will Call before the start of the game.

...So I arrive at 11:40 for the lunch, which is scheduled to begin at noon. Of course, there is NO ticket for me at Will Call. The guy can't find anything under my name, the coordinator of the event's name, or the name of the organization. You know that I am standing outside thinking "See...this right here is exactly why I don't f*@ks w/Black folks." However, I'm trying to remain calm and think through the situation. I spot a black guy in a suit, and assume that he must be there for NABA as well. It was a gamble, but sure enough I was right. So I explain the situation, and ask if he can take my name and number and communicate the situation to the coordinator upstairs. Thankfully, he found the coordinator, got me a ticket, and came back to get me. Whew!

Now, I really don't know what actually happen. I spoke to the coordinator, and she says that she has no record of me receiving a ticket. However, I double checked my email when I got home, and I definitely did. Either way, it didn't matter at that point b/c I was in. The event itself was rather pleasant, though...a bit disorganized, but I still enjoyed it. The college students received some pretty hefty scholarships $1500 - $3000, and I met folks from several other firms. Plus I ran into a few people that I knew in the past.

In spite of the earlier mishap, I plan to stay involved and get to know more people.

3 comments:

T said...

Welcome to my world. Non-profit organizations really are models of inefficiency. It really cooks my grits. LOL!

Anonymous said...

"Non-profit organizations really are models of inefficiency."

True speech.


PS - I thought you liked grits. So wouldn't cooking your grits for you be a good thing?

ThummyB said...

Girl,

You know I was PISSED, but I really wanted to just hold it together to find a solution. It ended up working out, so I just let it go...but my mind was screaming "See...this right here..."