Thursday, July 24, 2008

Do you day dream?

I always hear folks (ministers, motivational speakers, etc) talk about dreaming big...bigger than your wildest dreams. For a long time it was very difficult for me to really understand this concept. I mean, I'm a pretty practical person, so most of my dreams are things that I really see myself accomplishing based upon where my life is today.

This isn't a bad thing as they say you should have very tangible goals. However, if you believe in God to take you beyond where you can get yourself, then you have to hope for the intangible too. So I've always kinda said "Yeah yeah that makes since.", but I never was able to really wrap my mind around believing in or hoping for something that seemed completely impossible.

Well this morning on my way to work I had a wonderfully elaborate day dream (I mean I was so into it by the time that I re-focused on traffic, I was several exits ahead. Seriously, but for the grace of God, I would not make it.) about making partner after only two years as a senior manager. I imagined myself getting the news, accepting, celebrating by dancing and drinking the night away, sharing the news w/my family, and then being announced to the office as a new partner. I even imagined myself attending new partner training and my 1st partner meeting. It was exciting, made me smile, and motivated me for the rest of the day. Now you may or may not realize this, but I have a VERY active imagination. I day dream about all kinds of things...including those that I am too embarrassed to share here.

Well it hit me that maybe this is dreaming big. Maybe imagining myself and my future far beyond where I am and hope to go is all that I need to do. Clearly you are going to focus your energies on those tangible dreams, but I honestly think that dreaming big helps you to reach just beyond your tangible goals. You exceed your expectations, and end up in a better place than where you expected.

All of this is to say, spend some time day dreaming. Enjoy imagining your life different, transformed, or on another level. Don't start slipping on your pimping and put day dreaming ahead of hard work and actions. However, don't be shy about letting your childlike imagination run wild and seeing yourself in a whole new place. Who knows...one day you just might end up there.

No comments: