Saturday, July 05, 2008

Life begins today!

These words came to mind while I was cleaning my house today. I was moving a perpetual calendar that my mother gave me...you know the kind...they are made up of blocks with months and numbers, but not years. You can forever arrange it into the correct month and day combination. Sorry, I have digressed. As I was moving the calendar, I looked at the date...my birthday. I pretty much never advance this thing except for on my birthday (and maybe one or two other special days out of the year). Today was really no different at all. I just felt like "What's the point?"

Now on a side note...as I was cleaning I was also going through a mental goals check. A while ago, I blogged about wanting to take myself and my life to a whole other level over the next 18 months. I think that now my motivation is a bit different, but the goal and timeline is still very valid. I'm ready to begin my adult life. Don't get me wrong...I'm not a wreck or anything like that, but I can be (and I want to be) better.

So needless to say...I figured Today is the Day! Why continue to wait? I think that for a long time I was waiting for some milestone to happen in my life to begin adopting certain grown up characteristics...turning 30, getting married, making manager. These are definitely all milestones that I have said to myself "Well I'll do XYZ when I (fill in the blank)." That's no way to live. I think that sometimes you have to grow and advance as a person to even make it to those milestones (except for turning 30...in that case you just have to...you know...stay alive).

Now its a bit difficult for me to articulate what exactly I want to accomplish. There are some clear ways that I can improve (like paying bills on time w/o fail and maintaining a cleaner home). However, its really just a shift in mindset. It's getting away from procrastinating and really focusing on becoming the Me that I envision myself being. It may be a matter of continuing to develop my cooking skills. It may be a matter of remodeling my home (a topic that I will post on next). It may be a matter of honing my personal style or focusing on growing my finances. Sorry if this all sounds a bit scatter brained :-) I just envision my life differently, and I am ready to begin living the life that I envisioned TODAY!

So suffice it to say that I set my blocks to July 5th to signal a new start. Of course, its scary b/c I don't want to flake out on myself, so I'll be blogging about the challenges that I take on and concur. Fun times.

2 comments:

T said...

Aw. Sounds like fun. You know I've got your back no matter what. I can't exactly remodel a bathroom like your dad or anything, but I got your moral support right chere! :)

ThummyB said...

:-) Thanks, homie.