Wednesday, July 16, 2008

So decorating...my home needs it.

As I was cleaning up last Saturday, I began looking around at my furniture. Four years ago I thought that my look was great. Most of my furniture was handed down from my parent's old home, but I was really pleased with the items that I received. I still am very grateful for them, but looking around it is very clear to me that an upgrade is needed. I mean...to be honest...my bedroom set is the same one that I had in the 6th grade, and my couch and coffee table are at least 8 - 10 yrs old.

It's time to start investing in a face lift. I've already begun heading down this road by making updates to my kitchen and bathroom. However, these were updates that I was making solely with the goal of increasing my home's value to eventually sell it. This is still a long-term goal of mine, but why not make it an awesome place to live in the meantime?

So hear is what I need to do...

Within the next year I would like to replace my stove and refrigerator with stainless steel appliances. I actually can go ahead and do this just as soon as I find a decent sale. I will probably make this a Labor Day or Christmas gift to myself.

I also would like to replace my couch and coffee table, my desk, and my bedroom set. Honestly I want to get rid of almost all of my furniture, but I will have to pace myself.

I want to paint my bedroom, living room, and maybe kitchen. I may paint the entire rooms, but most likely I will just paint one or two accent walls. I just want something to spice up the space.

Really long-term...I would like to have hardwood floors installed. Carpet and a pets are a huge No-No.

After that, there are just a few other non-essential updates that I would like to make...like a new TV in the living room ;-)

I'm going to try to post updates here as I find items that I like and purchase. Until then here are just a few pics to give you an idea of the feel that I will be going for.

3 comments:

T said...

Oooh nice! I actually really like your coffee table and dining room table. Did you hear everyone complimenting your chairs at the b-party?

I think you may also want to focus on small changes that completely update the look. A bookcase, different knobs on the kitchen cabinets, a table runner, a different blanket for the couch. You may be able to have fun with some small pieces before you buy large pieces.

To paraphrase your sentiments a few posts back, why wait for "some thing" or "something to be happen" to be happy when you can have that same happiness right now. (i.e. cabinet knobs may make you just as happy as new stainless steel, etc)

T said...

"something TO happen" Get that "be" out of there to make my sentence make sense.

ThummyB said...

Good deal. I am definitely going to try to make the small updates 1st.

However, the couch and bed really need to go. The poor couch cushions are all sunken in the middle, and the feather bed is no longer a sufficient substitute for a good mattress. You start to notice the wear and tear when you're using these things day in and day out.

I'm not really in a rush, though, so I can afford to chill until I find some good deals. I'll update the accent pieces until then.